Thursday, December 3, 2009

Monster on Aisle 13 - #FridayFlash





“I know what I saw, even if they don’t believe me.”

“Uh huh.”

Her lawyer seemed rather non-committal.

“Ms Dennison, you’ve been charged with shoplifting.”

“I can explain that. I was in one of those big-box stores, looking at the DVDs. They happen to be on aisle 13, by the way.”

“Uh huh. Go on.”

“So anyway, there was a little boy and his mother standing right next to me. The kid picked up a copy of Monsters Inc and asked his mom if she’d buy it. Next thing I knew, two shaggy blue arms came out of that DVD and grabbed them both—their shopping cart too. Sucked them right inside. Don’t you see? I had to take it. Someone has to save them.”

“Perfect, Ms Dennison. Don’t change a thing. We’ll plead temporary insanity.”

***

“Robbie, I picked up a new copy of Monsters Inc today. Why don’t you watch it while I get dinner started.”

Robbie walked into the kitchen a few minutes later.

“This one isn’t like our old copy.”

“What do you mean?”

“Come look. There’s some lady pushing a shopping cart with a little boy in it and Sully’s chasing them.”

©2009 Laura Eno