Thursday, January 21, 2010

Time's Faux Pas - #FridayFlash





“I’m bored.”

Chronos looked over to see if his companion heard him. Death sat in a recliner, flicking peanuts from a spoon and catching them in his eye sockets.

“Are you even listening to me?”

“I heard you. Why don’t you go visit Nyx?”

Chronos shuddered, remembering the last time he’d been in that wily woman’s clutches. The goddess of Night was not to be taken lightly. He wasn’t sure he was up to repeating that experience.

“No, I want to do something constructive. You know, help people.”

“You’ve got all the time in the world to do it.” Not getting a laugh at his little joke, Death stood up. “I have a collection to make. Let me know what you come up with. It might affect my schedule.”

Chronos nodded and scratched his beard. The longer it got the more it itched. It was all this cold, dry air—

That’s it, he thought. People complained about how long winter lasted. He could do something about that.

He paid a visit to Gaia but she wasn’t at home. Probably out fixing the latest tree blight. No matter. Chronos couldn’t see any flaw to his plan that would upset Mother Nature.

First, he sped up the earth’s orbit. Then he removed the month of February. Pleased with his solution, Chronos wasn’t prepared for the complaints that poured in.

Gaia pounded on his door, then blew in before he’d had a chance to answer it.

“You’ve disrupted the growing season.”

Chronos took a step backwards. If she started a tornado right now, he’d lose all the knickknacks off his shelves.

“I only wanted to ease the suffering that a long winter brings.”

“Did you think about the Southern Hemisphere? You shortened their summer.”

“Oh. That hadn’t occurred to me.” Before he could say more the doorbell rang. Eros stood on the doorstep, his bow pulled taut and an arrow aimed at Chronos’ head.

“You’ve removed the month of love, you blasted timepiece! How am I supposed to match people without Valentine’s Day? What will this do to the flower and chocolate industries? You bloody well better change it back before I skewer you.”

Death and War popped in together. War had his sword drawn but Death eased it aside.

“I’m afraid you’ve made a mess of things, old friend. War will have to intensify his efforts and I will no doubt be working overtime to keep up.”

“I understand.” Chronos raised his hands to forestall any more accusations. “I have changed it back.”

Everyone breathed a sigh of relief and left him at once. The sudden silence gnawed at him.

“I’m bored,” he said to the empty room. Maybe he’d go visit Nyx after all.

©2010 Laura Eno